Saturday, September 4, 2010

Shell Internship Application letter

Sun Yitong
Kuok Foundation House #713
21 Lower Kent Ridge Crescent
Singapore 119280
August 2010
Shell Eastern Petroleum (Pte) Ltd
Shell House
83 Clemenceau Avenue
#02-00 Singapore 239922
I am writing this letter to apply for the post of intern at your company. I am currently a third year undergraduate at National University of Singapore (NUS), majoring in Chemical Engineering. I would very like to be a part of Shell, one of the energy giants, and gain valuable insights into it. In particular, Shell’s continuous effort to contribute to sustainable development truly inspires me and the corporation value will align with my interest and value.
I am a fast learner who excels in Chemical Engineering, currently I am holding the Singapore Ministry of Education Scholarship which would offer to the top 10% students from China. My strong academic performance has laid a solid foundation for me to pursue an excellent career path in Shell.
Moreover, I have a strong interest in industrial finance. I am currently pursuing ACCA (the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants) and have completed the fundamental level. Through the self-learning process, I got the ability to handle the multi-tasks within a very limited time; besides, I got a chance to gain a broader knowledge about the global accounting system which could help me along my future career path within industrial finance.
My past internship experience provided me relevant experience. During my internship with Bank of China, I was assigned to design PowerPoint presentations, to reconcile and to maintain balance sheet accounts, and conduct general ledger operations; this provided me an overview of real working life and helped me gain interpersonal skills. Therefore, I believe that my experience and capability will meet Shell’s value and standard.
Please find the enclosed resume with further details of my background. Please do not hesitate to contact me at sun_yitong@live.com. I look forward to discuss with you face to face one day.
Thank you very much for your attention and consideration.
Best regards,
Sun Yitong

16 comments:

  1. Hi Yitong,

    Just my cents worth of thoughts. Firstly, I feel that the first paragraph can include a little preview about your "abilities" that would be "beneficial" to shell. Personally, I feel that showing the "you" attitude right from the first paragraph would attract my interest to want to continue to read on.

    Overall, I feel that the letter is concise, clear and of high credibility. Adding a line space in between paragraph would make the letter more pleasing to the eye.

    Cheers!=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yitong,
    I think all in all it is a good post. my only complaint would be that a little spacing and alignment would be good. this way it looks like a long essay and may put off the reader. Your address and their address should also be separated. :)

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Garfield,

    Overall a pretty impressive cover letter. And you just want to hurt our eyes with the spacing, don't you? Hmppph! Haha, anyway, aren't you bonded to MOE then?

    A few mistakes here and there.


    1. Should it be "studying' rather than 'majoring'? - eg. I study Business, majoring in Finance.

    2. "gain valuable insights into it" - suggest to change to "gain valuable insights through this stint at Shell.

    3. "which would offer to" - > "which was offered to the top…."

    4. "got" - have/learned

    5. Shell's valueS and standardS. I presume they would have more than one value and one standard.

    6. "one day" > seems to me like "I hope to meet you, one day. Mr Obama." - a feeling of too long.

    Your credentials are concrete. You have enough confidence portrayed through the letter and you seem to know what you are doing.
    May be a tad incoherent between the points and paragraphs.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yitong, my dear...

    This letter is very concrete. I will be willing to grant you an interview solely based on your experience and accolades.

    This is not compulsory (I think) but maybe add a subject to the letter? So that the person browsing through it can immediately know what is the purpose of the letter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Yitong,

    Great job on the cover letter. I have to say the letter is very clear in terms of making your intention known to company that you are applying for. Just a minor issue on clarity, I was not in favour of your closing statement in the last paragraph of the letter "I look forward to discuss with you face to face one day.". It could be rephrased to "I look forward to your favourable reply soon." or "I look forward for an opportunity to discusss with you my interest in being part of your oragnisation.". This would clearly show that you are hinting for an interview to be granted for your application and at the same time, show your politeness to the reader.

    And just a minor edit, the word capability could be used in its plural form as I believe you have more than one set of skils. (:

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @May:
    Hi my dear May, thank u very much for your advice about the letter. I will try to include it for my next letter...since...for Shell the internship failed already haha~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love reading and following your post as I find them extremely informative and interesting. This post is equally informative as well as interesting . Thank you for information you been putting on making your site such an interesting. I gave something for my information.
    Geek gadgets in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am mainly surprised by the way you unique out almost every single little detail. It can be genuinely heading to aid me a great offer. Thanks for sharing your suggestions so certainly. Administratie voorbeginners is providing best quality accounting services in Amsterdam, Netharlands our simple and effective way to teaching students and we provide good output. Learn more about us - Boekhouder amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the info and facts. You offered meals for believed. Thanks for sharing the facts. Each and every with the most helpful to you.
    Toyota Electric Forklift

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks in support of sharing such a pleasant opinion, piece of writing is fastidious, thats why i have read it fully
    Oil drilling companies

    ReplyDelete
  11. Many people has embraced composing as their vocation and they have included in various parts of composing like exposition composing, paper composing, research composing, article composing, content written work and different components also. Perused this website and become acquainted with couple of something beyond.

    ----------------
    Where I can buy Perfectmoney

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you are right. I was pleased when I heard one of my student saying, "I like it here because you are not a bunch of eggheads." We definitely hire tutors who can develop a positive rapport with the student.

    Oil field jobs in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visit each day a few locales and destinations to examine content, despite this site offers highlight based substance.
    paragnost amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please does anyone have any clue on what the format should be like?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Professionally written blogs are rare to discover, however I apprehend all of the factors referred to right right here. I also need to include a few different writing competencies which every person must privy to.startup amsterdam

    ReplyDelete