Wednesday, November 17, 2010

6 As, 3 Ps and 1 L



Final Reflection (Post #6)

6 ‘A’s for both the communication and life skills that I’ve learnt from this module.

Attitude.
One’s capability does not decide how high one jumps, but the attitude one possesses.  A British scientific paper reported that our brain reacts to whatever we tell it to do. Likewise, nobody can bring out our greatest potential except for ourselves. In this module, speaking and writing in English is unavoidable. When I set my attitude to give my best effort to communicate, things become better than when I treated myself as an international student.

Appreciation.
When I started appreciating everything rather than taking them for granted, I felt that communication became much easier and also more intimate. Appreciating the different backgrounds from which my group mates come from has allowed me to open my eyes and learn more.

Ambition.
Before starting any assignment, I’ve learnt to set a goal that I want to achieve rather than just aimlessly completing the assignment. Ambition can become a great motivation along the way especially when faced with an obstacle. When doing a project, having a discussion or when writing my blog, my ambition helps to bring out more creative ideas and enables me to be more productive.

Acceptance.
Be tolerated, patient, and open-minded.  In this module, we had discussed a lot of our own ideas both in and outside the classroom. When faced with different opinions during a discussion, I’ve learnt to try to accept it rather than sticking to my own views. This way, I feel that I have more to learn as compared to when just trying force my views on others.

Action.
Daydreaming did not build this world. When I get an idea, I’ve learnt to take it one step further and do some research and take action. Even if I end up failing, I’ll know that at least I’ve tried my best.


Awareness.
Be aware of my mind, actions, the world, and everything around. This awareness helps me to notice any points, feelings or ideas that others may overlook during any communication process.


3 ‘P’s I’ve learnt to apply in class.

Patience.
I used to be a Chinese debater; a very aggressive and impatient person. Regardless of what others say, as long as it is different from my point of view, I will spare no effort in arguing my point till all agree with me. However, after this class, I’ve started to realize that being patient is very important during any form of communication. It is a way of showing your care and respect to the person at the other end of the conversation.



Politeness.
Regardless the correctness of the discussion in class, being polite is a basic but crucial point to having an effective communication. When I was polite, my partners tended to say more and they could also feel that I did care about their opinions. Being polite also helps to build a healthy communication panel.

Participation.
It took me some time before I started to speak out in class. However, after I started to participate in class discussions, I realize that I’ve come to learn more than I expected to.

1 ‘L’ I’ve learnt from blogging.

Language.
It is all about language. A lawyer defending somebody in court, a professor passing on his knowledge to his students and me explaining my feelings through the internet. When it comes to blogging there is no eye contact, no body language and no tone to help you interact with your audience. Your language becomes the only tool you can depend on. I have seen through my blogging experience that I still have a long way to go before becoming more professional in my use of the English language, but nonetheless I shall persevere.

6 ‘A’s, 3 ‘P’s, and 1 ‘L’. The 11 words will always be with me regardless of whom I communicate with, and the format I communicate through.

12 comments:

  1. I really like the way you creatively organize your ideas in this reflection post, Yitong. You zoom in on personal attributes and how those qualities informed your work throughout the course. Just to focus on one, when you mention "patience," you honestly allude to your own "aggression" and how that trait was tempered through work in ES2007S. I thought back to your mock interview stint as an interviewer then interviewee. Yes indeed. That experience probably did give you an opportunity to reflect on your behavior and the actions of others, especially as we debriefed.

    All in all, you made many fine contributions to the class this term, Yitong. Your willingness to participate actively was a big plus, as was your broad smile and positive attitude toward learning --- so much so that when you were absent, your presence was sorely missed.

    Thank you for all your efforts and best of luck for your future endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi YiTong,

    It's really great that you've learnt so many things during these short 13 weeks. 11 points is a good take away. Your points are well presented and it is easy to see what you found most valuable from this module. You also provided examples to illustrate the many point you want to bring across. It is concise in bringing the essential points and clearly stated making it a pleasant read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The presentation sure reminds me of Jonathan. Hahax... Didn't realize that there was so much to learn from ES2007S. Maybe I should really do a second reflection of what I have gained from the module. I second to Daniel that this post is really clear and there were examples to make the post really concrete. It is rather concise as well and another C there is not in the 7C is also observed - Creativity.

    Really great to see paragraphing in your post. It really makes reading so much easier. =P

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey garfield,

    Thank you for your post. You articulate concisely regarding each important point and lesson you have learned and those are very relevant to us all as well.

    From interactions with you in class, it is no wonder you were a debater! And you seemed to be very sure of yourself and your ideas. That is a trait of successful CEOs. :D

    Hope you will keep the blog alive and enjoy your SEP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Brad: Thank u very much for your kindly comments! I did believe that this module is very crucial to my uni life and I learnt a lot from u. Thank you again for everything!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Daniel:
    Thank u very very much for your proof reading of my post, for twice~Thank u for your kindness~and all the best for ur exams!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi stanley~
    thank u very much for your kindly comments for my post!~hehe, i used to write my chinese essay in this way, this time I would like to try sth diffrent from what I have done. It seems not bad~haha ur posts are also very good!don be so qian xu~

    ReplyDelete
  8. @YX:
    Haha, again, sorry for the interview I hold for you, I am not that mean la ~haha~
    wow~I will save this comment, if one day i indeed become a CEO, I will thank u with some stocks~haha~
    yeah la no prob. I will keep updating my photos here~~haha
    gd luck for ur exam!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Yitong,

    I did not know that you are a Chinese debater. Would have love to listen to you debate, even though I would not have any idea what you are saying.

    I really like the style of this blog entry. It's not concise as a whole, but each point is clear and concise.

    Language is also an issue for me. The only way to improve the written language is to read and write more, I guess? We, engineers, especially need to try to keep in touch with it. Haha.

    I'm really glad to know you through this course. You never fail to make me smile and I'm proud to call you my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Yi Tong,

    I hope you'll read this! I agree with Brad, this entry was made in a creative manner, laying out the learning points you acquired using an acronym of sorts. :)

    Yes, persevere! I think you are very candid / shuang3 快 in your opinions/views, even in class discussions and especially through your blog posts. So I enjoy your honest sharing of your feelings and thoughts, which have a lot of times, generated a lot of comments and discussion. So it is a job well done!! You can only get better as you continue to practise using English to blog/write projects and stuff.

    Oh my gosh, I think debating is really not easy, and to do it in Chinese is a feat to me. Do you know Pang Ying? Anyhow, you can always send your future assignments for me to proof-read (if you'd like more inputs or if Daniel is too busy :P)

    Thank you for contributing to the liveliness of the class as well. Yes your presence was much missed in the last lesson. Add us on face-book! We are planning (YX is heading this) a post-exam ES2007S Group 4 outing. See yaa after exams and all the best studying!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Yitong!
    First and foremost, it was great working with you. Your initiative and positive attitude showed, and it really helped the group pull through our darkest hour.
    This post is the best one yet; the format you adopt enhances the clarity of your points, which flows within each section. It's akin to a visit to an aquatic museum (shui3 zu2 guan3), with each section highlighting the features of each section. I further applause you for the great improvement in the fluency. While the language sometimes posed barriers to communicating, you overcame them with your determination and positivity. For this, you have both my respect and admiration.
    Frankly, you remind me of Gabrielle Solis in Desperate Housewives (Not for your physical beauty, despite the coincidence and that Yong Xin declared you hot). You are a fiesty young lady who fights for herself than to leave it in the hands of others. At the same time, you have started to learn to temper your inner fire with patience. This trait will definitely bring you a long way.
    While I can go on and on about your good qualities, I shall conclude here that you are both a good friend and team mate to have. All the best and I sincerely hope to catch up with you sometime soon and "concern" about ourselves and others( you know what I mean =P).
    Auf wiedersehn!

    P.S. sorry for the late posting. I wrote this last morn, but it didn't get posted up cos I forgot to verify with the stupid system that I am human!!! =.=

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Steph...

    steph is jealous yitong asked me to proof-read for her!!! ahaha!!! >o<

    ReplyDelete